Snorkelling in the Maldives
The water of the Maldives is pristine clear with excellent visibility. Snorkelling over the reefs of the islands is an ideal way to explore the splendid marine life. The house reefs of most of the islands are just a few meters away from the beach shoreline.
With clear water and excellent visibility one can simply walk up to the reef to enjoy its beauty and multicoloured fish it hosts. Snorkelling gear is available from all the resorts and all cruise boats. You may have to pay a charge for the gear. Most of the resorts organise regular guided snorkelling excursions to give visitors a chance to experience the diversity of marine life and reef structures in the Maldives.
Some snorkelling tips
- Select a mask that fits comfortably.
- Choose a pair of fins that fit your feet comfortably and a snorkel that fits easily in to your mouth.
- Get advice on the best snorkelling spots and how to reach them from your resort.
- Find out the potential problems such as waves, currents and difficult entries and exits.
- Wear a t-shirt to protect yourself from the sun and a waterproof sunscreen on exposed areas of your skin such as the neck and the back of your knees.
- It is always recommended to snorkel with a partner or not leave the site of the people or life guard.
- Do not walk or step on the corals, to protect yourself from injury and the corals from damage.
- And finally respect the marine environment and enjoy the experience.